Thursday, March 1, 2018

Submission to God's Will

Then the LORD gave me this message:
 “O Israel, can I not do to you as this potter has done to his clay? As the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand.”
Jeremiah 18:5-6

I believe Jeremiah 18:1-6 is a great example of how we need to submit to God’s will. This is a familiar passage and provides a vivid image.

The Master Craftsman, during the creation of this vessel, found that the vessel was flawed. However, He didn’t throw the clay away. The Potter continued to work the clay, carefully and skillfully forming the exact shape He had in mind.

I wanted to know more about the potter and how he can so masterfully create such finely detailed vessels. This is quite a skill and it involves tremendous patience. For instance, before the clay goes onto the wheel, the potter must remove air bubbles. If not, during the firing process, there could be an explosion.

Then the clay is sealed to the wheel. It’s an important step. The clay has to be securely connected to the Master. Next, I learned that water is essential to the process. The clay constantly thirsts for the water to prevent from drying out and becoming brittle. While the potter works with the clay, he must keep it centered on the wheel. To accomplish this, he’ll apply pressure, sometimes in different directions. Yet, he’ll keep a hand on the clay! There are a number of instruments the Master can use to design the final masterpiece.

Our Heavenly Father, the Master Craftsman, is the potter and we are the clay. Job 10:10 says “You guided my conception and formed me in the womb. You clothed my skin and flesh, and you knit my bones and sinews together.” The Potter squeezes His clay, taking out imperfections so we won’t explode. Those air bubbles might represent anger, addictions or other issues.

The Potter provides His Living Water so we can be showered with His presence. He wants us to use the gifts He has given us to be what He created us to be. 

Watching a craftsman work the clay is indeed fascinating. A shape may begin to form yet the Master presses the clay to the wheel to skillfully begin again. He has power over the clay. This can go on and on. He works with tremendous patience. 

I’m convinced that we must submit to His Will. We are decorated with His love and grace. We are to trust Him when the heat is really on! We are His Masterpiece -  He loves us.

A popular song says “Take me and mold me. Use me, fill me. I give my life to the Potter’s hand.”

Important questions to ask yourself: Am I willing to truly submit to God's will? Am I willing to go through the fire knowing that I will shine and serve His purpose on the other side?


"His faithful love endures forever."

Until next time...

Chaplain Gray