Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Double Trouble

Part 1 (Be Kind to One Another)

I know in the recent past, I’ve noticed that some people have shown kindness to me at various functions and events. At the same time, I’ve witnessed people avoid opportunities to show kindness to another person. In fact, I’ve seen a lot of people really showing quite the opposite of kindness. This made me want to learn more about showing kindness to others.

So, I’ve looked at some scripture, read some devotions on the topic, and even solicited some dialogue with friends about the topic. I’ve prayed about the topic and how to articulate what I’ve found. However, I am finding it hard to organize this post because I have this image stuck in my mind of the many times I’ve driven past someone on the side of the road who appears to be stranded and/or in distress. So, I don’t know if it’s the best approach, but I’m going to present two posts about kindness and the first one is a troublesome example!

Double Trouble
Think about the story we have grown up hearing from the Bible. The wonderful Good Samaritan serves as a great role model. If we are to obey Jesus’ command, we need to do as the Good Samaritan and cross the road and tend to the hurting people God has put in our path. Here’s the challenge though that I’m stuck on: In this day and time, we often pass right by that person. We fear for our safety. We are afraid to get involved. We don’t have time to stop. Why is it so hard to be the hands and feet of Christ our Lord? When is our safety an overriding factor? We are taught to seize every opportunity to be kind to others ( “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them.” Proverbs 3:27). Why is it so hard to respond?

This is a case of double trouble because the driver is obviously in trouble and needs help. In addition to that, I’m troubled because I have driven right past that driver without helping.

After some discussion, here is what a few friends thought about the challenge. First, my friend Pat summed it up in a few words: “Kindness to people not like you is very hard.” Second, we know horror stories of the scam artist. This may serve as a crutch enabling us to look the other way and even justify that decision. Next, let’s face it, we are too busy, conditioned and/or greedy to offer random people our help. Fourth, we do recognize that even though it’s hard, we do want to be the example Christ taught us to be. And lastly, we acknowledge that it’s not simple, but if we would trust God more, and listen to His voice, we might find that we can step out of our comfort zone and know that He will protect us.

Now, in part two of “Be Kind to One Another”, I’ll outline some nuggets and offer some steps we all can take to perhaps be a little bit more kind.


"His faithful love endures forever."

Until next time...


Chaplain Gray