Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Some Thoughts about Holy Week

This week we journey toward the cross and the empty tomb. Sometimes we might not let the events of Holy Week really sink in. So I’ve been working hard to read, study and be more aware of the special events during the week and the ultimate meaning of it all. I’ve come across several passages of scripture and had reminders from different friends about why we celebrate this week.

During my reading this week I was, of course, reminded that Jesus entered Jerusalem in a very unusual manner. Yet He was fulfilling prophecy as He rode in on a donkey. The streets were lined with people adoring Him with great shouts of praise.

I also noticed that in the Gospel of John, there are several chapters that record the events of the Last Supper and the hours after that meal, leading up to the betrayal. Jesus, in Chapter 17, is praying for Himself, but mostly for His disciples and believers who follow Him today. So, for the hours immediately preceding the betrayal, He is spending in prayer!

I was also reminded by Pastor James Macdonald that Jesus “took our place and suffered our punishment for sin. He became our substitute.” Macdonald also reminded me of the extreme punishment Jesus suffered. The flogging, a twisted crown of thorns, a scratchy robe, and a swollen and disfigured face is just beyond my comprehension. The pain of all of that was then finished at the cross. Macdonald explained “Someone had to pay. A holy God could not casually dismiss sin with a wave of His hand and the presentation of a hall pass. Holiness demanded that sin must be paid for.”

Pastor Travis Agnew wrote a blog post “The 7 Phrases from the Cross.” He points at this phrase “It is finished,” from John 19:30. Travis explained “Salvation’s work was done. It is finished. These are the greatest words I have ever heard.” He added, “Jesus’ atoning work on the cross was complete.” You have to understand that a huge price had been paid.

Thankfully, that is not the end. My good friends Stephanie and Bruce reminded me that after Christ’s resurrection He appeared to the disciples. His first words were “Peace be with you.” And then he said, “As the Father has sent Me, so I am sending you.” The disciples and now all believers have the job to spread the Good News of Salvation.

Be thankful that Jesus Christ paid the price for the sins of the world. I pray that during this Holy Week of 2018 that you will have an opportunity to share the Good News with someone! 

Remember…

"His faithful love endures forever."

Until next time...


Chaplain Gray