Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Mission Impossible: Say What?

Do you remember the TV series Mission Impossible? 
It ran from 1966-73 and again from 1988-90. The theme music was always a recognizable tune and it even carried over to the film series with Tom Cruise.

Seemingly impossible, covert missions were given to an elite team - but there was a catch. They were subject to official denial in the event of failure, capture or death. The odds were always stacked against the team. They would get backed into corners and leave the audience hanging and anxiously waiting for the climax, when somehow, some way, the team succeeds and escapes!

Time after time, the team uses technology (best of their day) to get out of jams and on their way to success. They operated all over the world so that added some interest and excitement as well. Audiences would be ‘dazzled’ at their ‘tools’ and think ‘NO WAY’! But in this fictitious action spy thriller, the team always made it through.

Life can sometimes seem impossible too. 
We can run into a place in time when it appears that all the odds are stacked against us. We can be overwhelmed by a situation, a disease, job loss, break up of family or the loss of a loved one. Our faith can be rattled by these circumstances.

However, we have a lifeline. We are told in Romans 8:31b “If God be for us, who can ever be against us?” Jesus said in Matthew 19:26 “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

In Isaiah 41:10 we get these words of encouragement and strength: “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”

David, who we know faced Goliath as a young man, says in many of the Psalms how he gets strength from the Lord. In Psalm 27:1 he describes the Lord: “The Lord is my light and my salvation - so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?”

Wow, what confidence he has!

If you have read Paul’s letters in the New Testament you know that at times he suffered greatly. He spent much time in prison and he often had to flee for his life. He gives us this encouragement in Philippians 4:13 “For I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

There’s nothing God can’t do! These are promises He has given us. You need to claim them as yours!

Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean He no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? Romans 8:35

No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39

Lord, I claim your promises to give your people strength and to bless them with peace! And be my shield - I trust you with all my heart. Arm me with strength and make my way perfect. In your Son’s Holy Name I pray, Amen.

"His faithful love endures forever."

Until next time...

Chaplain Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment